There are many resources for single parents who want to return to school to complete their college degree. Click on the links to go to the appropriate website for more information about the scholarship/grant and application process.
There are seven scholarships available for single moms:
- Beatrice F. Kroesche Memorial Scholarship https://utah.academicworks.com/opportunities/11961
- Bernice Murray Scholarship https://www.unigo.com/scholarships/by-state/vermont-scholarships/bernice-murray-scholarship/3395
- Bethel Foundation Grace Scholarship Fund http://www.bethelfoundationusa.com/Grace%20Scholarship%20Application.pdf
- BYU Marriott Single Parent
- Ford Opportunity Program
- EFWA scholarships https://www.efwa.org/scholarships.php
- Single Parent Scholarship Fund http://www.okspsp.org/
Government grants for single mothers: free money from the government
- Block Grant https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/825
- NIH Grants (National Institute of Health) https://www.nih.gov/grants-funding
- WIA Grant (Workforce Investment Act) https://twc.texas.gov/programs/workforce-investment-act-program-overview
- TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/613
- WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) https://www.fns.usda.gov/wic
- SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program
- Medicaid https://www.medicaid.gov/
Another great resource is the Single Parents Alliance of America (SPAOA), an organization that aims to empower single parents and their growing families to connect with other single parents in a completely refreshing and unique way socially. You MUST be a single parent (mom or dad) and you MUST be a resident of the United States. https://www.spaoa.org/
Did you know that Oklahoma is comprised of over 300,000 adults who left college with no degree? The Reach Higher: DirectComplete program can help. Focusing on adult students, Reach Higher: DirectComplete is designed for adults who have earned some college credit and desire to complete a degree linked to a critical occupation as designated by Oklahoma Works’ Oklahoma’s 100 Critical Occupations list.
Partnerships with businesses, tribes, workforce development agencies, nonprofit organizations and foundations, federal and state agencies and other groups will provide scholarships, grants and other support to adult students who pursue degree programs within the program.
How do you get started? So glad you asked!
- You must complete a student interest form online to get started.
- Select your preferred institution from participating colleges in Oklahoma.
- A navigator from the campus you’re interested in attending will contact you to discuss next steps within three business days upon receiving your student interest form.
- Most Reach Higher: DirectComplete students are working adults.
- You have already started your degree; we can assist you with the tools you need to complete it.
- Your Reach Higher: DirectComplete navigator can give you information on financial resources and other supportive services that are available to you.
- Most campuses have upfront scholarships available to Reach Higher: DirectComplete students.
- Potential students must meet student eligibility requirements to qualify for Reach Higher: DirectComplete scholarships.
Please visit https://reachhigherok.org/directcomplete/ for more information.